Hans Peter Broedel
- When you finish this chapter you should be able to explain how medieval science and technology were an expression of medieval culture and world view.
- As part of this explanation, you should also be able to identify particular aspects of technology that reflected the concerns of different elements of medieval society.
- Similarly, you should be able to explain how medieval science (natural philosophy) served the purposes of scholars and the church.
- You will also understand that technologies and science do not exist in isolation but in close relationships.
- Finally, you should appreciate the European middle ages were not some scientific and technological “Dark Age,” but an era of innovation and creativity.